Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why I like fuchsia....


Well now I know why I like fuchsia...(or magenta, as I called it, but will never refer to it again by that name) it eludes luxury, it has texture, it's a color of nature that seduces. I'm seductive! Did you hear that? Ha ha, maybe my beads think so....as I seduce them in to another jewelry design! I do love color, it does evoke texture and I prefer to layer it. I like monochromatic designs but they must have texture in size, shape, hue and feel. Color is so much a part of your design but...once you have that decided on the color, how does it all go together? This is what I lovingly refer to bead logistics. For example, I've been comissioned to design a triple strand pearl necklace for a bride. It needs to be simple as the dress is beaded too. We are using 4mm white swarovski pearls spaced by silver lined crystal seed beads and interspersed with bicone crystals! She will wear it twisted for the wedding but it can be worn untwisted as well. My logistic problem arouse when I found the perfect vintage rhinestone clasp, a 2 strand rhinestone clasp. Now how could I use this 2 strand clasp for a three strand necklace I asked myself. The solution: attach a chain of 5 jump rings the the rings of the clasp and then attach my clam shells to the 3 center jump rings. I used 4mm OD (outside diameter) jump rings and the bit of extra finishing hardly shows. Today's bead problem solved but fear not, there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment